Chlorine, a chemical substance now commonly found in tap water, has given rise to many concerns with the discovery of it being harmful in long-term use. With this recent discovery, many wish to find a way to remove this chemical from their drinking water for safety, and this is where water filters come to our rescue. Besides, it is unnecessary to leave the chlorine in water after it destroys the bacteria, right? And this is done by the time the water reaches our taps.
As regular tap water contains many contaminants, many people now tend to rely on water filters for their safety. And this has led to the production of many different filters filling up the market with varying features of their own.
With this blog post, I’ll follow up on a few of the best water filters in the market that are good for filtering out chlorine from your water source. But first, a brief lesson into why chlorine may be in our drinking water in the first place.
Why is Chlorine Added to Our Tap Water?
It is no secret that chlorine is a strong disinfectant that can kill many viruses and bacterias, which is also why it is added to water. When chlorine is added to water, it reacts with water to form acids such as hypochlorite and hypochlorous.
These acids can react with pathogen cells and destroy them, thus destroying the bacteria itself. In this way, chlorine helps remove many harmful disease-causing pathogens from the water, reducing the chance of us getting infected with a water-borne disease.
Is Chlorine in Drinking Water Safe or Dangerous?
Chlorine is often praised for its practical disinfection qualities, but could the same be done if it were harmful?
Recent studies have shown many adverse effects chlorine can cause if taken in high dosage, and we cannot stop this since chlorine builds up inside our bodies with time.
Health Effects of Chlorine
Chlorine has many side effects along with its qualities; let us look at just a few of them.
- Unpleasant taste and odor: It is no secret that regular tap water often has unpleasant tastes and odors, primarily due to chlorine. These unpleasant tastes and odors can often lead to less drinking of water, which can cause dehydration. And not just that, this will even encourage the use of other beverages which have their drawbacks.
- Cancer: Some studies have proved that substances formed when chlorine reacts with water can cause cancers in the bladder and rectum.
- Abnormalities: Studies have also found evidence that pregnant ladies who had been exposed to THM, a substance made when chlorine reacts with water, have led to giving birth to abnormal babies. These infants are found to often have cleft palates, ventricular septal defects, holes in the heart, or a lack of brain development.
- Asthma: It has also been discovered that swimming in chlorinated water can trigger breathing problems, turning them into asthma. Even if the chlorine levels are low, this can still occur as chlorine enters the swimmer through the skin and with the breathed air.
- Food Allergies: Chlorine can also cause food allergies and food poisoning if the chlorine is in high dosage. Plus, chlorine cannot remove 100% bacteria from water; with time, some may form a resistance against chlorine as it is used for a long time.
Best Chlorine Water Filter Reviews
There are many different types of filters available, from refrigerator filters to countertop, to under the sink, to the whole house. I’ll list my top-rated filters for chlorine removal below in each category…
Best Faucet Filter for Chlorine Removal
When it comes to the best faucet filter which can remove chlorine, our choice would be the Brita Basic Faucet Water Filter System.
- Basic Brita faucet water filter attaches to your standard faucet making tap water cleaner* and great-tasting; filtration system is easy to install; no tools required
- Get great-tasting water without the waste; by switching to Brita, you can save money and replace 1800 single-use water bottles** per year
- The space efficient design attaches directly to your faucet giving you the choice of filtered or unfiltered water; Available in white and chrome color with a filter indicator for easy replacement reminders; Height 5.28"; Width 4.8"; Depth 2.26"; Weight .84 pounds
- Reduce 99% of lead, chlorine (taste and odor), asbestos, particulates, Benzene, and more; a helpful status indicator lets you know when to replace the filter with an easy 1-click filter replacement
- Replace your faucet mount water filter every 100 gallons or approximately every 4 months to keep water tasting great
This certified filter is made of plastic to prevent rust from forming and can filter 100 gallons of water with 0.5 gallons per minute speed. It also has three spray patterns included in it. With their easy assembly and installation, these filters are very user-friendly.
While highly effective in chlorine and lead removal, this faucet water filter does a fantastic job of improving the tap water’s taste, odor, and clarity. It also comes with a built-in filter life indicator showing when we should replace the filter cartilage.
All in all, this filter could be recommended as the best chlorine faucet filter available.
Also see my PUR vs. Brita breakdown
Best Whole House Filter for Chlorine Removal
If you are looking for a whole house filter, Aquasana 10-Year Whole House Water Filter System would be our recommendation.
- Clean, Great Tasting Water From Every Tap In Your Home - Activated carbon reduces 97% of Chlorine. Plus, this Rhino's newly-improved divider valve enables up to 14.6 gpm flow rate with no noticeable change in water pressure.
- High-Performance Filter System - Carbon & KDF filtration media engineered to maximize contaminant reduction while leaving healthy minerals in your water. This system will NOT reduce Total Dissolved Solids (TDS)
- Cost Efficient & Long Lasting - Clean water for less than $0. 01 a gallon - Save twice as much compared to other brands on purified water for 1 million gallons or 10 years
- Easy Maintenance - No draining or back flushing needed - Easily replace pre and post filters every 2 months for best filtration and flow rate
- Top-Grade Install Kit & Components - System includes filter tank, 20" pre-filter, post-filter, brass fittings for 1'' or 3/4'' pipes, bend supports, and shut-off valves – Item may ship in more than one box and may arrive separately
Aquasana 10-Year Whole house water filter system is specialized in chlorine removal and can remove 97% Chlorine and chloramines from water in the entire house. This filter also reduces rust, silt, sediment, pesticides, herbicides, heavy metals, E-Coli bacteria and viruses, algae, and organic particles in water and prevents bacteria and algae growth in the water.
Since different filters for different parts of the house are not needed when the Aquasana 10-Year Whole House Water Filter System is used, this product is still beneficial even with its high price.
Best Under the Sink Filter for Chlorine Removal
When speaking about the best under-the-sink filter for chlorine removal, the Waterdrop under-sink filter system would be our choice.
- Less than ＄25.99 per replacement filter (Search " B085G66JTZ "on Amazon), save over 50% of cost on subsequent use.
- [After Sales Assistance] Waterdrop Backs the WD-10UA's high-end technical performance with a comprehensive prorated performance service; should a quality issue arise with the filter, you can contact us.
- [Deep Filtration and WQA Certified] Based on independent testing, this filter can efficiently reduces PFAS, PFOA/PFOS, large-particle contaminants such as rust, lead, chlorine, heavy metals, chemical impurities, and sand through thorough purification for clean drinking water. The filter is made of high BPA-free and lead-free materials and is certified by WQA against NSF/ANSI 372 Standard. The water filter has been certified by WQA under NSF/ANSI 42 Standard and can successfully reduce chlorine, taste, and odor. It can lower lead when tested by a third-party laboratory against NSF/ANSI 53 standards. Please use the "WD-10UA" search term to review the 42&372 certification on the WQA website.
- [Innovative Design] Only a cold-water source should be used to power the filter. Its twist-and-lock construction and push-to-connect fittings enable installation in three minutes, three second replacement, and safety-assuring integration. This filter comes with a 3/8" line that connects directly to US sinks' standard 3/8" feed water valves. The system is connected to 1/2" and 3/8" cold water pipes and faucets with the use of the 3/8"-1/2" convertor fitting.
- [Filter Replacement and Long Lifespan] This filter system may be upgraded with a UF filter or a MZ filter to meet your water needs. It is compatible with several filters with various functions. Each filter system has a maximum service life of 12 months or 8k gallons when used with municipal water, which is sufficient to cover the needs of an entire household.
This fantastic water filter comes with a three-stage filtration system making sure that the water is thoroughly cleaned. Water is first flown through the PP filter, which removes impurities and other particles. Then comes the UF filter, which is designed to remove common contaminants from the water. And last comes the CT filter, which is specialized in removing heavy metals and chlorine, improving the water taste and odor.
The Waterdrop under-sink filter system is made to last 24 months and comes with an installed indicator that flashes a light to indicate when we should replace the filter. The filter is also easy to install and replace.
Even if this filter is a bit expensive, it can be labeled as the best under-the-sink filter for chlorine removal with its ultimate features.
Best Shower Filter for Chlorine Removal
Since chlorine can enter the body through the skin, using a shower filter is very beneficial, and when it comes to shower filters, Aquasana AQ-4100 Deluxe Shower Water Filter System could be named the best.
- Maximum Filtration & Water Pressure (2.5 GPM Flow Rate) – Constructed with a unique up flow design which maintains water pressure, prevents clogging, and increases contact time with media.
- Premium Carbon Filtration - Filter your shower water with coconut shell carbon and copper-zinc media that is independently tested to NSF/ANSI Standard 177 to reduce more than 90% of chlorine.
- Healthier Skin, Hair & Air - Reduced harmful chemicals means more moisturized skin, healthy shiny hair, and less chlorine in your shower steam
- Long Lasting & Cost Efficient Filtration - Our filters are some of the longest lasting on the market. Keep your water fresh for 6 months or 10, 000 Gallons and for as little as 25 cents a day
- Simple DIY Installation & Filter Replacement - Easily install showerhead in 4 simple steps. Compatible with standard ½” shower arms. After installation run water for several minutes to flush carbon fines until water is clear. For optimal filtration, remove and replace filters every 6 months.
This remarkable filter is designed for contaminants, chlorine, heavy metals, hydrogen sulfide, herbicides, pesticides, and VOCs to give us the best water to shower. It even has an ANSI/NSF 177 certification for chlorine removal, gaining another plus point.
This filter is low cost, has a one-year warranty, and is even easy to install, making the filter an even more excellent choice. It also has a multi-setting massage head and can filter 10 000 gallons of water before replacement.
And so, due to these outstanding qualities, we would like to conclude that this is the best shower filter for chlorine removal.
Best Countertop Filter for Chlorine Removal
Waterchef C7000 can be named as the best countertop chlorine filter. This filter has a certification by NSF for removing 99% lead, chlorine, and other contaminants.
- Powerful Big Block Filtration Technology for Superior Contaminant Reduction & Taste (Removes >99% of LEAD!)
- Filter More & Spend Less - Huge 1,000 GALLON Capacity! (ONE Cartridge per YEAR for most families!)
- IAPMO Platinum Certified - NSF/ANSI Standards 42, 53, and 401 (includes 75 Contaminants)
- Intelligent Monitor Measures Actual Usage (No more cartridge replacement guesswork!)
- Stylish, Space-Saving System Easily Attaches to Your Faucet (no tools) & Includes LIFETIME Limited Warranty!
With the possibility of removing lead and chlorine and many other contaminants like pesticides and herbicides, VOCs, benzene, and even some bacteria, this filter is a pretty exceptional choice for a countertop filter.
This filter also comes with a lifetime warranty, a great stylish design, and some fantastic features that make his product worthy of its price and the title ‘the best countertop filter.’
Do Brita Filters Remove Chlorine?
Brita water filters use a coconut-based activated carbon filter that removes chlorine and other contaminants like zinc, copper, cadmium, and mercury. Brita filters can remove more than 97% chlorine from water.
Does Reverse Osmosis Remove Chlorine?
While reverse osmosis systems can remove chlorine compounds, it isn’t the same with chlorine. Pretreating a reverse osmosis membrane with activated carbon can help with this issue as it will help the filter remove chlorine from water. But if the reverse osmosis system incorporates a carbon block filter, it will then filter out chlorine.