Changing the water filter in GE refrigerators is necessary to keep clean drinking water flowing. There are cheaper MWF filter options in the market today and I’ve tried quite a few in my days. Below I talk about some of the best MWF filter options you can use today instead of having to use official GE parts which are usually more expensive.
Getting such described water these days is almost impossible with the kinds of pollutants infiltrating freshwater supply and the different cleansing measures taken, in an attempt to keep drinkers safe. In the end, all you get is a cloudy water supply with a chemical taste.
The need for water filters is therefore increasing, but the amount placed on these things is damn scary. Well, the good news is that there are now cheaper replacements for MWF filters for GE refrigerators and in this review, we will be looking at the best replacements for the GE MWF filter.
Best MWF Water Filter Reviews
Here are 5 popular MWF water filters that you can get today to replace your old ones. Starting with the tried and true original.
⭐1. GE MWF Water Filter Replacement (Best for replacing the original)
There is a slight mix-up concerning the number of gallons it purifies. The listing states 400, while it is 300.
This is one of Pureline’s best. It is fully certified to perfectly purify your water and give you the best quality water. Installing is relatively easy and hassle-free; no sweating. This filter perfectly fits the original design by GE; it is what you can call the perfect replacement, but the great part is that it comes in 3 at a meager cost.
It operates with a minimum water pressure of 30psi and a maximum pressure of 120psi.
Coconut carbon blocks
It is made with coconut carbon blocks with micropores; coconut carbon blocks are considered the highest standard material. The benefit of using this material is that the minutest particles will be prevented from getting into your drinking water.
3-stage water filtration
The 3-stage filtration is an Advanced Filtration Technology that filters thoroughly without leaving any particles or contaminants behind. The first removes sediments in your water; the second removes chemical contaminants while the third filtration stage removes chlorine and odor.
This filter has a universal design that makes it compatible with a vast number of refrigerators.
NSF, WQA, and IAPMO certify it. Be rest assured that you are getting an approved filter with high standards.
Why We Love It
This filter uses the 3-stage Advanced Filtration Technology to process your water.
Keep In Mind
There is a slight mix-up concerning the number of gallons it purifies. The listing states 400 while it is 300.
2. GlacierFresh MWF Water Filter For GE Refrigerator (Best Alternative to Original)
This is another excellent MWF water filter. This filter entirely replaces the MWF water filter for GE refrigerators. It is designed with a white color that will elegantly blend with the interior color of your refrigerator.
Not only will you have a finely-designed filter, but it also does not occupy space as it is built in a compact and portable size that gives storage space for other objects. Also, it protects the components of your refrigerator from sediments.
Advanced filtration system
With this filter, you enjoy an advanced filtration system that is beyond conventional means of filtering. It is made with a hard-grade carbon block that helps to remove contaminants, leaving your water clean, bright, and with great taste.
Twisted and lock design
Installing this filter is very much easy because of its tool-free feature.
Special package of 2
When you order this product, you get two. This means, for a low price, you have two efficient filters that can last you up to a year.
This water filter is compatible with quite a large number of GE refrigerators. You can look up the information about the compatibility of this product. It can be said to have a universal design.
Why We Love It
This filter performs excellently just like the GE models it is replacing. It is also amazingly fast.
Keep In Mind
In some rare cases, the filter suffers a split or leakage.
3. Crystala Replacement GE MWF Refrigerator Water Filter (Best Budget Friendly)
The water filter is a highly-standard replacement for the GE MWF filter. Everything about this filter is super easy and excellent. You install with ease and operating too is also hassle-free. It reduces more than 90% of contaminants such as Estrone, Naproxen, Bisphenol, Cyst, Benzene, Lead, Chlorine, and others.
If your water has a vitiated taste or offensive odor, this super-efficient filter will remove the taste and smell, leaving you with an odorless and quality-taste purified liquid.
Just like every other filter, it is crucial you change this filter every six months or after using it for 300 gallons of water, whichever comes first. This filter reduces your expenses on replacement by offering you three that will last for more than a year.
Coconut shell carbon filter
This filter is made from a coconut shell carbon filter, a standard material certified to NSF 401 and 53, which traps heavy metals, microbes, traces, pharmaceuticals, and industrial chemicals.
Enhanced filtration system
It is equipped with a unique method of filtration that thoroughly removes particles from your water.
Certified to NSF 372
This certification assures that the GE MWF refrigerator water filter is free of lead and incapable of contaminating your water.
GE MWF, MWFA, GWF, GWF01, GWFA, GWF06, and Kenmore 9991,46-9991, 469991.
If you seem not satisfied with this filter’s performance after purchase, your money will be refunded on return.
Why We Love It
Having a 3-pack water filter for the same price as one GE filter is mind-blowing.
Keep In Mind
Due to the top and body shape, this filter does not fit all GE refrigerators that use MWF filters.
4. PureLine MWF NSF 53&42 Certified Refrigerator Water Filter
- Innovative Filtration Technology: Our refrigerator water filters use a state-of-the-art 3-step filtration process consisting of 2 pore-sized micron filters and an activated carbon block that enhances water quality and taste! Firstly, the water goes through a mechanical filter that captures medium-size elements then passes through 2 ionization filters that filter out large materials and remove the smallest impurities and chlorine, leaving the water pure and clean!
- Quality You Can Trust: The PURELINE water filters stand out from the competition with a superior quality design that ensures error-proof performance! Made with BPA-free, lead-free and food-grade materials, our third-party tested filters comply with the most rigorous standards and are NSF 372, NSF 42, WQA, and IAPMO-certified!
- Easy Installation and Cost-Efficient: Our water filters are not only high-performance but also affordable and cost-efficient! These filters can filter up to 300 gallons of water and require replacement every 6 months, saving you time, money and energy! Also, our filters ensure perfect compatibility with GE refrigerators, making the installation a breeze, without any tools needed!
- Fits in the following refrigerator models: GSL25IGXNLS, GSL25JFRFBS, GSL25JFXNLB, GSL25KGREBS, GSL25QGPDBS, GSS22QFMCCC, GSS23HMHECES, GSS23LGTACC, GSS23QSTASS, GSS23WSTASS, GSS25CGHECWW, GSS25GFXJBB, HSS25GFPHWW, PCP23SHMFFBS, PFCS1NFZASS, PFSF6PKXCBB, PFSS2MJYCSS, PFSS6PKXBSS, PFSS9PKYASS, PGCS1NFZASS, PIE23NGTIFKB, PIT23SGRCSV, PSE25KSHEHSS, PSE25KSHSS, PSK25MGSBCCC, PSK25NGNDCCC, PSK27NHSCCCC, PSK29NHWGCWW, PSS26MGPBBB, PSS26MSTDSS, PSS26SGPASS,
- Fits in the following refrigerator models: PSS29NHMBBB, PST26SHRCSS, PZS23KSEBFSS, PZS25KSEBFSS.
This product is one of the unique MWF filter replacements out there. You can get three filters at a low price, making it more special.
That this filter is cheap does not mean it has low quality. Customers have written so many appraisals on the efficiency and quality of this product.
It is so similar in performance and quality to the OEM GE filter that you might not even be able to tell the difference between them. Using it, you cannot help but just fall in love and order for another set.
Since this filter is certified to NSF 53, the filtration system is advanced as it removes most heavy metals and 99.3% lead. This will provide you with a sweet drinking experience.
Ultra Health Protection
The vitality of your health is half-dependent on the water you consume. Hence it is vital that the water you are seriously scrutinized. Being certified to NSF 53 is an assurance that this filter is capable of removing health-related contaminants.
Super refreshing taste.
It is certified to NSF 42 to reduce chlorine, taste, and odor significantly.
6-month return policy
If you purchase this product with one defect or the other, you can return it and get your money.
Why We Love It
The filters last longer than the GE brand and are much cheaper.
Keep In Mind
Before usage and after installation, you would have to flush the line for about 5 minutes to get rid of microbubbles; this process might consume up to 4 gallons of water.
5. WaterDrop Best GE MWF Refrigerator Water Filter
- This Waterdrop refrigerator water filter replacement for GE, despite its affordable price, offers the best - a mix of prior filtration performance and important certifications from the well-known regulatory body in the industry – NSF 42 and NSF 372 certificates. GE is a registered trademark of General Electric Company. GE is used for reference purposes only.
- [360° comprehensive protection] Be aware of the claimed certification. Our filters are comprehensively certified by the NSF 42&372 test from each components to the filter cartridge as a whole, providing you all-round protection from harmful impurities.
- [Advance filtration process] If you have been looking for a way to reduce harmful impurities from your drinking water, the solution is here. This Waterdrp replacement water filter effectively filters off impurities from your water.
- [Perfect fit] You can now worry less about water leakages due to unfit or loose replacement refrigerator filters. This Waterdrop refrigerator filter replacement is made from an advanced industrial automation system and a precision measurement technology that ensures that you get the same fit as the original. Moreover, you need no tool to install this refrigerator water filter. Just follow the installation guidelines we have provided, and you will be done in minutes.
- [Top-notch filter material] Here, you are getting a significant improvement to the less-efficient charcoal filter that relies on coal, wood, walnut shell, and apricot shell to filter water. The filter material in this filter is a 100% Sri Lankan selected coconut shell carbon block, with 2x larger surface area and more micropores. Unlike the cheap and mixed carbon block, the filter material in the Waterdrop refrigerator filter improves the overall taste of your water.
Just like its brand name “Best”, this is a water filter that can only offer you the best. It performs excellently and is strikingly similar to the GE MWF filter so it might seem difficult to tell the difference in the performance of the two.
Talk about good quality taste, purity, and odor-free; this filter is equipped to give you all. It is super easy to install, unbelievably durable, and very easy to use. With the advanced 3-filters-in-1 package, your expenses are cut down as you would not have to order for replacement every six months; you have the 3 to last for close to 2 years.
Superior water filtration
The filters are equipped with an excellent filtration system beyond conventional means. In the end, you get purified water with superb taste.
The filters are certified to NSF 52, which means they handle the aesthetic properties of water, thereby giving you a better drinking water experience.
Fit and finish
The filters are easy to install and fit GE refrigerators without any leak or misfit. With a clean white finish, the filters will blend with your refrigerator’s interior color and add a distinctive elegance to it.
Why We Love It
The filters do the job excellently at a fraction of the brand name.
Keep In Mind
It is possible to encounter impurities in the filtered water after using it, but such cases are rare. When such happens, you can always contact manufacturers for a solution.
What to look for When Buying The Best MWF Filter Replacement
Buying a water filter can be challenging, especially when you have hundreds of options. Before you buy a GE MWF refrigerator water filter, there are some factors you need to consider, which are:
Water filters come in various fittings and shapes, and the fact that these are replacements does not make them fit all refrigerators even if they have universal designs.
You should check your refrigerator number and compare it with the model you are picking to know if they are compatible. Choosing a fitting one will save you from future troubles.
This is another crucial factor to consider. Is the filter certified? You should pick a water filter that has passed several certifications for safety, durability, efficiency, and quality.
Some of the certifications a water filter can get are the National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) certification, the Water Quality Association (WQA) certification, the American National Standards Institute (AMSI) certification, and the International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials(IAPMO) certification.
For example, If a water filter is NSF 42 certified, it reduces chlorine and improves water’s smell and taste; if it is NSF 372 certified, it is lead-free.
Life Span And Capacity
Also, check the capacity of the water filter you purchase and how long it will last.
MWF filter replacements are meant to be used for six months since they give their best performances within this month.
Also, some water filters have a 200-gallon capacity, while some have a 300-gallon capacity.
Ease Of Use And Installation
You would not want to buy a water filter that will give you a headache before installation or usage, would you? So, find an uncomplicated one that you can efficiently operate.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often should you replace a GE MWF water filter?
You should replace your water filter approximately after every six months of usage or after using for 300 gallons of water; whichever comes first.
How do you change a GE MWF refrigerator water filter?
Slowly turn the filter in your refrigerator counterclockwise without pulling it, till it slides out of the filter opening. Fill your new filter with little water to make the flow easier immediately after installation, then slide it back into the filter opening in your refrigerator.
Next, you turn the filter slowly to the right until the cartridge stops and raises itself back to its normal position; you should not tighten while doing this. Also, do not forget to run water through the system for 5 minutes to flush out carbon dust.
Do you have to shut off water to change the water filter?
You do not have to go through this stress. Once you unscrew the filter from the cartridge opening, your water supply shuts off automatically.
How do you clean a water filter?
Turn your filter counterclockwise until it slides out of its opening. Get out all the particles that have built up in it by tapping on the canister against a trash can. You then immerse in warm water with a gentle cleanser like vinegar.
Let the filter soak in the warm water bath for 10 to 15 minutes. If the water filter is very soiled, let it soak for 30 minutes. Take it out and then rinse under a clean stream of water until it is thoroughly cleaned. Air-dry it and fix it back by slowly turning clockwise until the cartridge raises itself to the normal position.
Now that you know all you need to purchase a good GE MWF refrigerator water filter, you can make your pick amongst the numerous water filters on the market. But to save you the stress of critically examining each water filter that comes your way, which can be strenuous, we have listed the best for you to make your pick.
Our best pick, however, is the GE MWF Water Filter Replacement. We can assure you that this MWF filter replacement will deliver the best-desired result. It is affordable and fully certified for quality, high performance, safety, and durability. It will provide sparkling, clear, odorless, and quality-taste water to improve your drinking experience.