What is Electronic Water Descaler?
This is a great question! The electronic water descaler was developed to be a cheaper, maintenance-free alternative to a salt-based water softener.
A water descaler is different; however, it is how it treats the water. Many other softeners and filters will take water into their system and remove particles from the water by capturing them in a filter or by enveloping them into the salt pellets.
With an electronic water descaler, you are not removing any hardness particles or molecules. Instead, the water molecules’ molecular structure is rearranged, and because of this, water molecules will be separated as they flow into your pipes and appliances. Because the water molecules are not stacked or stuck onto one another, the water can flow through the pipes without allowing hardness particles to attach to the pipes. This is what causes scale build-up and damage to appliances.
Electronic Water Descaler Pros
There are several unique differences between water softeners and electronic water descalers. Understanding the differences between them and comparing these two different types of water combatants is important when identifying the best water purification solution for you.
Why I Like Electronic Water Descalers:
- Descalers are more affordable than many other softener alternatives.
- There is much less maintenance with electronic water descalers than alternatives.
- The operating and maintenance costs associated with water descalers are incredibly cheap compared to whole-home filters and softening systems.
- When it comes to installation, electronic water descalers are designed to be installed by the homeowner, and it usually takes less than 20 minutes!
- Water flow rates are completely unaffected.
Electronic Water Descaler Cons
- If you focus on drinking water and limiting the number of contaminants, it is usually suggested to combine a filtering solution and a water descaler. The descaler will not be as effective on its own.
- Depending on your home’s size and how far water needs to travel, you may need more than one descaler.
- This is rare and not as common, but if your water needs to travel 50 feet further on after it goes through the descaler, you may need a 2nd one on the line.
Water Softener Pros
Why I Like Water Softeners:
- They are reliable and remove thousands of different contaminants from your water.
- Flow rates are typically unaffected due to the nature of water softeners.
- They are becoming easier to install for many homeowners.
- There is constantly new technology emerging, and salt-less systems are now becoming a popular choice, which lowers maintenance costs.
- They are quiet and operate primarily on their own with few operating costs.
Water Softener Cons?
- Whole-home water softeners are large and take up a ton of space in your basement or utility closet.
- They are much more expensive to purchase.
- Water softeners typically require a lot of maintenance compared to electronic water descalers.
- These things include Salt replenishment, intake filter changes, and system regenerations.
- Installation can be more difficult with water softeners for the homeowner. This will add more costs to the initial investment.
Electronic water descaling technology has evolved tremendously in the past few years and it is hard to find things you do not like about them. The truth is, you cannot go wrong with one or the other, and each home requires different things. It comes down to choosing the best product for you, and with the emergence of electronic water descalers, it is worth investigating them as your solution.
Now let’s take a look at 2 of the more popular descaler products on the market…
Eddy Electronic Water Descaler vs. Scaleblaster
Today, two of the most popular electronic water descalers on the market are the Eddy Descaler and the Scaleblaster. It is often asked which one is better and, most importantly, why is it better?
Eddy Electronic Water Descaler:
- Pipe Size Capacity = 1.5-Inche.
- Grains Per Gallon Capacity = 20 gpg.
- Signal Cable Length = 5 feet.
- Warranty = 1-year, money-back guarantee
- Maximum Range = 3000+ SQ. Feet
Scale Blaster Electronic Water Descaler
- Pipe Size Capacity =. 1.25-Inches
- Grains Per Gallon Capacity = 19 gpg
- Signal Cable Length = 46 feet.
- Warranty = 3-year, money-back guarantee
- Maximum Range = 3000+ SQ. Feet
As you can see from the comparison chart, there is not a ton that differs between the two most popular electronic water descalers on the market today.
These subtle differences between the two can be significant when it comes to determining the best electronic water descaler for you. The size of your home, water hardness levels, and installation requirements will all come into play when deciding.