Occasionally, I’ve encountered the IF code when asked to come out to a client’s house to troubleshoot their Hayward pool heater issues. This error code indicates an ignition failure, preventing the heater from starting. Ignition failures can be caused by various issues, ranging from minor problems to major malfunctions. In this article, I’ll cover the most common causes of the Hayward heater IF code and provide step-by-step instructions on how I fixed this issue.
Understanding the Hayward Heater IF Code
Before we dive into the troubleshooting steps, let’s first understand what the Hayward heater IF code means. The IF code appears on the heater display when the ignition sequence fails to complete. The heater attempts to light the burner three times before displaying the IF code and shutting down. The code protects the heater from damage caused by a gas buildup or other ignition-related problems.
Common Causes of the Hayward Heater IF Code
There are several reasons your Hayward heater may be displaying the IF code. Here are the most common causes:
- Gas supply issues: If your heater isn’t receiving a sufficient supply of gas, it won’t be able to ignite the burner. Check the gas valve and make sure it’s fully open. It would be best to verify that the gas line is clear of debris or blockages.
- Pilot light problems: If the pilot light isn’t lit, the heater won’t be able to ignite the burner. Check the pilot light assembly and ensure it’s clean and debris-free. It would be best to verify that the pilot light’s gas supply is working properly.
- Igniter issues: The igniter is responsible for lighting the burner. If it’s not functioning correctly, the heater won’t be able to start. Check the igniter for signs of wear or damage. You should also ensure that the igniter’s wires to the control board are properly connected.
- Control board problems: The control board is responsible for regulating the various components of the heater. The heater may display the IF code if it’s not working correctly. Check the control board for signs of damage or wear. You should also ensure that all connections to the control board are properly connected.
- Product description: IDXL2DB1930 display board replacement for hayward IDXL2DB1930 heater display board h-series heater.
- Replacement content: This IDXL2DB1930 Display Board replacement for hayward h400fdn hd150fdn display board, and another H-Series low nox induced draft heater.
- High standard: Efficient choice for maintenance, simple installation and obvious effect. After strict inspection, the material is upgraded, and the working time is longer.
- Note: Please confirm whether your model is suitable before purchasing, if you are not sure, please consult us.
- After-sales: 1 year after-sales service, beyond the normal return and exchange time, communicate at any time to solve at any time.
- Fd natural gas valve
- Fits hayward universal h-series low nox pool heater models h150fdn, h150fdp, h200fdn, h200fdp, h250fdn, h250fdp
- Also fits hayward universal h-series low nox pool heater models h300fdn, h300fdp, h350fdn, h350fdp, h400fdn, h400fdp
- Weight 64.5 pounds
- Replace your sun damaged or failng keypad
- Fits All H & H FD SERIES,H & H FD SERIES LOW NOX AND UNIVERSAL H & H FD SERIES LOW NOX HEATERS
- Easy for installation,you will need to remove your old keypad and re-use your existing plastic panel.
- The flex circuit is much more flexible than the original keypads.
Steps I Used to Fix the Hayward Heater IF Code
Now that I’ve identified the common causes of the IF code, let’s go over the troubleshooting steps. Here’s what you should do:
- Turn off the power to the heater: Before attempting any repairs, turn off the power to the heater. You can do this by flipping the circuit breaker that controls the heater.
- Check the gas supply: Ensure the gas valve is fully open and the gas line is clear of any blockages or debris.
- Verify the pilot light: Check the pilot light assembly and make sure it’s clean and free of debris. It would be best to verify that the pilot light’s gas supply is working properly.
- Inspect the igniter: Check the igniter for signs of wear or damage. You should also ensure that the igniter’s wires to the control board are properly connected.
- Check the control board: Inspect the control board for signs of damage or wear. You should also ensure that all connections to the control board are properly connected.
- Restart the heater: Once you’ve addressed the problem, turn the power back on and attempt to restart it. If the heater still displays the IF code, you may need to call a professional for further assistance.
The Hayward heater IF code can be a frustrating problem, but it’s often caused by minor issues that can be easily fixed. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can identify and address the problem and hopefully prevent it from occurring. However, it’s best to call a professional for assistance if you’re uncomfortable or unsure about the process. With a little effort and knowledge, you can get your Hayward pool heater back up and running in no time.
Also see: Hayward Heater LO Code Fixes
Or if you are in need of a new heater, check out these new models:
- BEST FOR: In-ground pools and spas with a surface area up to 1,200 ft. where natural gas is available. Its low environmental impact makes it ideal for pools and spas located where low-NOx emissions are required.
- PREMIUM PERFORMANCE: The Hayward Universal H-Series 400,000 BTU Natural Gas Heater delivers fast premium heating performance for years of reliable, long-lasting comfort.
- CORROSION PROTECTION: The Universal H-Series boasts exceptional protection against corrosion and premature failure caused by unbalanced water chemistry.
- ENERGY SAVINGS: The efficient, industry-leading design reduces circulation pump run time to provide energy savings.
- EASY-TO-USE: Intuitive front control panel provides easy operation, service and maintenance.
- Durable cupro nickel heat exchanger
- Industry-leading hydraulic performance with faster speed-to-heat capability
- Intuitive and easy-to-operate electronic panel
- Exclusive “Totally Managed” cupro nickel heat exchanger water flow
- Low NOx emissions—meets clean air quality standards
- Advanced heat pump technology uses less energy than natural gas and propane heaters
- Provides ideal water temperatures, even in harsh weather conditions
- Digital control panel displays temperature and allows for simple control of settings
- Efficient rotary compressor and low-noise fan guarantee extremely quiet operation. Durable titanium heat exchanger provides exceptional corrosion protection
- AHRI certified and independently lab-tested to ensure the highest quality performance and value
What does the Hayward heater IF code mean?
The IF code indicates an ignition failure on the heater. This can be caused by various issues, ranging from gas supply problems to pilot light issues.
How Do I Fix the Hayward heater IF code?
To fix the IF code, you should check the gas supply, verify the pilot light, inspect the igniter, and check the control board. Once you’ve identified and addressed the problem, restart the heater.
Can I fix the IF code myself, or do I need to call a professional?
If you’re comfortable working with gas and electrical components, you can attempt to fix the IF code yourself. However, if you’re unsure or uncomfortable with the process, it’s best to call a professional for assistance.
What should I do if the heater still displays the IF code after attempting to fix it?
If the heater still displays the IF code after you’ve attempted to fix it, you should call a professional for further assistance. A more complex underlying issue may require expert knowledge and equipment to fix.
How can I prevent the Hayward heater IF code from occurring?
Regular maintenance and cleaning can help prevent the IF code from occurring. Make sure to clean the pilot light assembly and inspect the igniter and control board for signs of wear or damage. You should also ensure that the gas supply is sufficient and that the gas line is clear of any debris or blockages.